Spring Top Events 2019 & 2020
Spring and summer in Bali mean lowered humidity, less rain, but still plenty of sun. Although an all-year-round destination, this is the recommended time to travel to this Island of Gods, so we highly suggest booking early to get great rates. The beginning of Spring – March – can still be quite rainy and hot, but from April it is quite delightful. Here are some of the activities we recommend if you’re traveling during these months:
BALI SPIRIT FESTIVAL – March 24th – 31st (2020 dates)
Probably one of the most elaborate of festival offerings, the Bali Spirit Festival has over 500 sessions in all kinds of experiences. You’ll find yourself experiencing a breadth of what Bali has to offer, all in one place, the wood and thatch Bali Purnati centre for the Arts in Ubud. Starting at 07h00 each morning, the whole day and evening is comprised of a mix of scheduled events in 11 categories, excluding the day time music and the evening concerts. Find out what laughter yoga is, how to dance ecstatically, discovering mindfulness, the power of silence, astrology through movement, voice activation, adventures in intimacy, and various forms of dancing, meditating, and music. Attended by over 7000 people from all over the world, there are an infinite amount of stories, moments, and connections to be had and shared.
- There are a few ways to go about the Festival, tickets ranging from an “Abundance Pass” all the way to one day entries which can be purchased from 7am at the entrance.
- Tickets can be bought online (recommended) and are then exchanged for a wristband which you can load money/tokens onto as the event if cash-free.
- This is a child friendly event with specific programmes dedicated to kids and families.
- The schedule for each day will be announced ahead on their website so you can plan your experience: 2019 Schedule
- While this is a daily-attended event (no accommodation onsite) there are showers and changing facilities to keep you comfortable throughout the day.
TIP: Sign up for their newsletter – they email special offers to their subscribers INCLUDING a promo code to use for discounts on your festival tickets and a 7 day meditation Ebook.
UBUD FOOD FESTIVAL – April 17th-19th (2020 Dates)
Proudly Locavorian (in fact check out the aptly named “Locavore” restaurant in the city), Ubud is the best place to understand what this concept means. The Ubud Food Festival, founded by Janet Deneefe in 2015, comprises of everything from speakers, master-classes, food tours, kitchen stages, to a food truck section!
- Actual entry is free and there are a host of free events, including film screenings, kids events, and live music, however the kitchen stages, masterclasses and the food tours all requite paid entry (except for one kitchen stage, Teater Kulinar, which is conducted in Balinese).
- You can buy tickets online (we recommend the FoodLovers Pass for serious foodies).
- Some special events are held off-site so check each individual event carefully.
TIP: Look out for the “Kitchen Takeovers”!
CORONA BALI PRO – March 13th – 25th 2019 (2020 announced soon)
The famous WSL (World Surf League) moves around the globe, holding top tier Champions Tour competitions at the best surfing spots on earth. Keramas’ Komune Resort in Bali is the only place in the entirety of Asia who has this honour. Watch both Men’s and Women’s competitions, entered by world-wide pros, from your cool spot in the infinity pool, while sipping cocktails and soaking up the sun. In an active campaign to protect 100 islands by 2020, WSL has teamed up with Corona and Parley to combat the human rubbish plaguing our oceans. In this initiative, events, such as the Bali Pro, have become “protected”, meaning they are plastic-free events. The initiative is also driving beach cleanups all over the coastlines, recycled sneakers (in partnership with Adidas) and “up-cycled” surfing gear.
- The event is free to attend, however there are VIP tickets available which allow you to meet the athletes, watch from and hang out in dedicated and catered areas, among other perks.
- Live updates are posted on their website and app so you can keep track of who you’d like to watch and how they’re doing.
- This is a PLASTIC FREE event! Do your part!